CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Pregnancy

At my first doctors appointment, I remember when the nurse practitioner got out that little wheely thing that tells you what your due date is according to your last menstrual cycle.  She looked and said it looks like your due date is June 5th.  I don't know it for a fact, but I think I gasped and I remember being speechless.  I really don't remember too much more from that appointment, other than setting up another one.  When I got into my van, I just sat there for awhile and cried....my dad's birthday was June 5th. 

I spotted through my first trimester and few weeks into the second.  I had several ultrasounds during this time & everything was perfect with the baby.  In the middle of my pregnancy my blood pressure began to rise and I later would be diagnosed with PIH.   At 22 weeks we found out that we were having baby boy #3.  In the following weeks, my blood pressure kept rising and I was officially put on bed rest at 28 weeks.  It was at this point where my OB wanted me coming in every week for BP checks & I had to do urine tests every 2 weeks to monitor the protein in my urine.  At 30 weeks, my blood pressure was dangerously high and I was referred to a perinatologist.  At 34 weeks, during a visit to the perinatologist my BP was out of control and I was sent to labor & delivery to be monitored for 24 hours.  I was then told that if they couldn't get my blood pressure to stabilize they would deliver the next day.  Luckily, after resting for 6 hours, my BP came down and then I was released.  Then at my 35 week check-up, my blood pressure still was through the roof, something crazy high like 141/112.  I was having blurred vision, headaches and was light-headed.  At this point my OB wanted me to go L&D, when I ended up spending the duration of my pregnancy.  Thank God I had Andy run through the drive-thru of McDonalds before going to the hospital.  I had to have one least guilty pleasure before being sentenced to hospital food for the next 2 weeks.

While in the hospital I continued to have my blood pressure monitored around the clock, was hooked to monitors for contractions & the baby's heartbeat, had urine tests every other day to make sure I wasn't getting toxic, had consultations with perinatologists and neonatologists in preparations of having a potential preemie.  My induction date was finally approaching, May 12th.  

The night before the induction my OB came in to check me to see if I would need cervadil or just straight pitocin in the morning, and much to his surprise I was already 4cm.   I had been contracting for days, so I was happy that my body started doing what it was suppose to do on its own.  The next morning the induction was set for 9am.  At 6 the next morning, the woke me up to prep me for the induction.  The doctor didn't get there until 9:45 and I was already 5cm & then he broke my water.  I ended up having to get the epidural 3 times before it was effective, but the last time it finally worked.  Then they started the pitocin around 1230 and I was already 6cm.  They checked me again around 2pm and I was still at 6, so they decided to lay me on my left side and that WORKED!  I was 8cm by 230 and then around 3 I started to feel some pressure, so the nurse checked me and I was complete.  The baby was still really high, so she had me just breathe through the contractions so he could just move down further in the birth canal.  At 320 I told her I couldn't take it anymore & I needed to push, so she had me do a test push and then she called the doctor.  Dr. Renan got there at 330 and I pushed 5 or 6 times and Tyler James was born at 3:40pm PST.  He weighed 7lbs. 8oz. and was 19 3/4" long AND WAS PERFECT!

Tyler & I right after he was born
Big Brother Ryan & Tyler

BIGGEST Brother Matthew & Tyler
My 3 little men





2 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful. The story, the baby boy, and the sweet pictures! I've missed hearing about your family SO much!

Piper said...

Awww! Thanks, Laura. There is plenty more to come about what the boys have been up to! I just can't believe how fast they are growing up.